Here are my year-end list – a top 20 of new music, and a 25 A-Z list of reissues and archive releases because “there’s more old music than new music.” (Bob Dylan)
1. THE NITS | Angst Weird chamber-pop from the Dutch masters, est. 1975 and still the best band in the world.
2. COLIN HARPER | Titanium Flag Cinematic psych-folk which I already praised here.
3. GAS | Narkopop Pulsing neoclassical techno from the deep dark German forests.
4. MARTY STUART & HIS FABULOUS SUPERLATIVES | Way Out West Twanging psychedelic country with a bit of Benny Goodman thrown in from Connie Smith’s husband.
5. ANDROMEDA MEGA EXPRESS ORCHESTRA | Vula Berlin’s avant-prog orchestra/big band goes Sun Ra.
6. STEVEN WILSON | To The Bone Wilson does strange Eighties. Also strongly recommended – this year’s other albums from him: “Blackfield V” (pop-prog with his buddy from Israel) and “Last Days Of June” (Game soundtrack album of instrumentals and remixes).
7. EMEL | Ensen Like some femme arabian version of Massive Attack.
8. PAUL WELLER | A Kind Revolution Edgy and adventurous Weller-rock with an especially groovy instrumental bonus disc. Also recommended – his other albums from this year: “Jawbone” » Continue Reading.