What does it sound like?:
This 3 cd set trawls the Gallagher estate’s extensive tape archive, the ensuing results being split into electric, acoustic and live discs. It’s by no means a greatest hits set – there’s no Walk On Hot Coals, Moonchild or Tattooed Lady for example – but there is a fine selection of other goodies to enjoy. Roughly 90% of the material here is previously unreleased, and even the remaining 10% is rare stuff that is difficult to get hold of. The studio material comprises outtakes and alternate versions of songs from Jinx, Against The Grain, Blueprint, Tattoo and Deuce – check out the previously unreleased opening trio of Don’t Start Me Talkin’, Nothin’ But The Devil and Tore Down and you’ll immediately realise this release is going to be nothing but 100% prime Gallagher. That’s just the beginning though, as these are augmented by some great radio and TV sessions, including a superb Bullfrog Blues from US radio and a storming 1976 Whistle Test performance of All Around Man. Throw into the mix performances with Jack Bruce, Albert King and Muddy Waters, and even with Chris Barber and Lonnie Donegan, and what more is there to say? Other standouts for me include a great Radio One session version of A Million Miles Away and Leaving Town Blues, a track from the Peter Green tribute album Rattlesnake Guitar. My favourite disc though is the live one, with highlights being the five tracks recorded in Sheffield and Newcastle in 1977 and 1982, including fiery versions of What In The World and Messin’ With The Kid.
This set is nothing short of a treasure trove, one that’s chock full of undiscovered gems from Gallagher’s repertoire. I’d even go as far as to say it’s the best thing I’ve heard this year.
What does it all *mean*?
A three cd set of Rory in his pomp, most of which is previously unheard – come on, what’s not to like?!
Goes well with…
A few pints of Guinness and your memories of such a talented guy.
Might suit people who like…
Blues, superb guitar playing.