If we had to elect a Patron Saint (an honorary figurehead if you like) I’d vote Robert Plant.
– Unlike Kate Bush, he’s male, and a sizeable proportion of us on here are men. Sorry, but it’s true.
– unlike Bowie, he’s alive.
– He’s current AND heritage. Unlike Macca who even his most fervent fans would admit is probably purely a heritage act now.
– I think he’s less divisive than Dylan or Richard Thompson. A lot of people on here (including me) have respect and love for what he does and what he has done.
– But crucially, he’s not a bland favourite. He excites, but also repels people who don’t like him. You want a Patron Saint to be someone that not everyone likes, so the rebels can be happy to have someone to kick against.
So what do you say? Sir Robert Plant, Patron Saint of The Afterword?