This is certainly an unusual twist on the normal rock star memoir of drugs, drink and debauchery. Speaking as a long time Maiden fan, I had no idea one of their guitarists was such an avid angler, but this book tells all, from his childhood initiation fishing with his dad and brother on the canals of London right up to the present day, often in rather more exclusive locations. It’s definitely not a pastime you’d expect for a member of a heavy metal band for sure, but the author’s enthusiasm and knowledge is infectious, even to a non-angler like myself. My knowledge of fishing is in inverse proportion to my knowledge of Iron Maiden I’m afraid, with what little I do know being gleaned from that TV show with Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse! As such, most of the technical detail and terminology was rather over my head, but that didn’t detract too much from my overall enjoyment of this book, which is actually a very easy and entertaining read. Travelling the world with the day job, whether recording or touring, provides many wild and exotic locations to explore, as do the lengthy periods of downtime when the band is inactive, so the angling exploits cover many far flung countries and remote rivers. A warning for fans expecting a book about the band – the Maiden content is only about 10% of the book if that, often just being passing mentions, although the part about his childhood friendship with fellow guitarist Dave Murray is quite revealing. The remaining 90% is devoted to Smith’s second love after playing in the band, and he puts this across really well, coming across as a modest, genuine bloke in the process.
Length of Read:Medium
Might appeal to people who enjoyed…
One thing you’ve learned
This is a book where life in one of the world’s biggest rock bands plays second fiddle to tales from the riverbank.