Where I live, practically everyone is wearing a face mask when outside. When I go to my local supermarket I’m pretty much the only person not wearing one and I even attract disapproving looks from the other shoppers (even more so than usual, I mean). But I’m reading so many conflicting articles (and have seen many conflicting videos) on the subject. Here in Italy, as in some other countries, experts such as doctors and virologists are largely saying that everyone should wear one outside their home, whereas the WHO advise against them (as do important health organisations in UK and America, including the NHS). It has even been argued that they can do more harm than good:
– They cause people to touch their faces more.
– People will wear them for much longer than a few minutes for which they are designed, so they become damp inside and are therefore an ideal place for viruses to land and breed.
– There is a risk they can be shared, especially by children.
– There is a risk they are not disposed of properly, resulting in viruses being spread further.
– And there is a risk that they distract people from the real problem of surface contagion.
Any thoughts on the matter, Afterword? Do you wear one?