I have a classic iPod I started to fill in 2013 and complete in 2016. On it, I have every album I have bought this Century. When I think of my favourite albums of the Noughties, I’d come up with, say, Kid A, Untrue, The Lyre Of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues, In The Heart Of The Moon, Everything Must Go, Medúlla, Haha Sound, The Covers Record, De Stijl.
Looking at my play numbers, it’s a different story. Bowie and Walter Becker have been on heavy rotation, so Everything Must Go is up there but, otherwise, most frequently played, in reverse order, are:
10. Dangerdoom – The Mouse And The Mask
9. Thea Gilmore – Loft Music
8. Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
7. Radiohead – Amnesiac
6. Richard Hawley – Truelove’s Gutter
5. Prince Fatty – Survival Of The Fattest
4. Kathryn Williams – Little Black Numbers
3. King Midas Sound – Waiting For You
2. Shelby Lynne – Just A Little Lovin’
1.Yo La Tengo – And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
Clearly, there is a discrepancy between what I think I like and what I actually choose to play.
It made me wonder, which Noughtie albums does The Afterword still listen to in the Teenies?
Yo La Tengo – You Can Have It All