It’s been a strange year, musicwise. It started brilliantly with the release of Blackstar but that euphoria didn’t last long. I spent a whole month listening to nothing but Bowie and the best part of the next. It took a while to summon up the enthusiasm to listen to anything else. As a consequence, I am well behind on ‘new’ 2016 releases. My expenditure is down by close to 75%. I have a playlist on my iPod where I put all my new purchases. Compared to last June, it is puny.
Now, more than ever, I am genuinely interested to explore Afterword recommendations.
Here are my top ten of the year so far:
1. Blackstar – David Bowie
2. Lemonade – Beyoncé
3. A Moon Shaped Pool – Radiohead (I regard it as a single suite with ebbs and flows, the key combination being between piano, voice and strings. Utterly beautiful)
4. Man Made Object – GoGo Penguin
5. HITNRUN Phase Two – Prince (The 2015 Tidal release doesn’t count)
6. Into The Silence – Avishai Cohen
7. Hollowed – iTAL tEK (It may just be me, but electronica is having a poor year. This is an exception. Hollowed has taken its time to reveal its pleasures but patience has been well rewarded)
8. Untitled – Kendrick Lamar (material recorded some time ago but only just released. Lamar’s cast offs are awesome!)
9. Culcha Vulcha – Snarky Puppy
10. We Are KING (The more I listen, the more I hear. There is a lot more to this album that first meets the ear)
Disclaimer: My copies of Melanie De Biaisio and The Monkees haven’t arrived yet.
What are your favourite albums of the year so far?