I’ve built some shelves and am now busy filling them with my CDs. I’ve got a few filing dilemmas.
1. Where do you put the ‘Mc’s and the ‘Mac’s? At the beginning of M or not?
2. Some artists have ‘de’ with a low case ‘d’ before the surname proper, like ‘de Montford’. Do you ignore it and file under M or keep it under D?
3. Similarly, ‘van’ as in ‘Van Etton’? Is that under V or E? Obviously doesn’t apply to Morrison whose first name is Van.
4. Then there is St. as in St. Etienne. The convention is that St. Goes before Sa, no?
5. Some names have a couple of surnames, such as Jerry Lee Lewis. Is he under Lee or Lew?
6. Do you break up the band? I’m thinking of The Wailers with or without Bob as a prime example.
7. How about when an artist goes under different names? Do you file Wings and The Fireman under McCartney?
8. Once you get an artist’s oeuvre altogether, is it chronological or alphabetical order?