Hi folks. Apologies for a lazy post but instead of doing some proper research myself I thought I’d appeal to the Massive hive mind for ideas.
In November I’m going on probably what will be a once in a lifetime trip to New York, with a brief chance to see a bit of Amsterdam on the way back. Never been to either city.
I saw the recent brilliant thread on Dublin so I’m being cheeky here and looking for similar tips.
I’m not a particularly frequent traveller. On average I’ve been abroad once every two or three years, but generally nowhere further than Europe. Generally city breaks: London, Paris, Rome. I like the buzz of cities.
The difference this time is I’m travelling with my mum not my wife. So fancy shopping and fancy restaurants are generally not required. Me and my mum are both practical and spendthrift, so would get more pleasure out of simple value for money pursuits. Neither of use are averse to hoofing it around – anything up to 7 or 8 miles a day at most would be acceptable. I’m 43 and my mum is 67.
Any ideas? Practical as well as cultural.
We’ll be there for four days in total. Haven’t booked accommodation yet. To give you an idea of what I might like:
– In London I loved visiting music sights, like the site of Joe Meek’s studio on Holloway Road, Abbey Road, and (yes) Battersea Power Station from the Pink Floyd cover.
– We also both love films, so film locations are good and also interesting or historical cinemas.
– I also generally love museums and modern art galleries (Imperial War Museum in London, V&A, Pompidou Centre, all good)
– I’m a Beatles nut, and have done all the Liverpool location stuff. One thing I do want is to visit the place where Lennon was shot… Bit morbid I know….
– Interesting pubs or eateries would be good, but cheap and cheerful beats posh.
My mum is going on to Austin to stay with my brother for a while, so Amsterdam is a solo trip. It’s a flying visit – I’m literally there for thirteen (daytime) hours from landing to takeoff. So I want to make the most of it and soak up the atmosphere. I quite like photography so thought I might look for some interesting locations for pics.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!