A heads-up for the Brit jazzers among us – another sensational archive release from Dusk Fire. PR sheet below…
Artist: Mike Gibbs Band
Title: “Symphony Hall, Birmingham 1991”
Label: Dusk Fire
Form: 2CD digifile with booklet
• First ever release of recordings taken Gibbs and guitarist John Scofield’s 1991 band tour
• Featuring the talent of Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor, Steve Swallow, Bill Stewart, Tony Coe Julian Arguelles, Chris Pyne, amongst others
• 1000 copies ltd. edition pressing
• High quality digifile packaging inc. 8-page booklet notes by Ian Mann with archive images
Another unique Dusk Fire celebration of heritage British jazz marks the talents of Mike Gibbs and John Scofield.
This 2CD set finds the duo harnessed to Mike’s 12-piece band, recorded at Birmingham Symphony Hall in October 1991 during a 12-date UK tour promoted by the Contemporary Music Network, a branch of the Arts Council of Great Britain.
Over a quarter of a century later, “Symphony Hall, Birmingham 1991” offers up music still astonishingly fresh and contemporary, full of rich colours and textures, vibrant rhythms and inspired solos.
This double album represents an essential addition to the catalogues of both Mike Gibbs and John Scofield.
Bearing faultless performances from the cream of modern British jazz, the release is overall another essential purchase for connoisseurs of the genre.
1. Lost in Space (Scofield)
2. Meant To Be (Scofield)
3. Roses Are Red (Gibbs)
4. Gill B643 (Scofield)
5. Don’t Overdo It (Gibbs)
6. Out of the Question (Scofield)
1. Pretty Out (Scofield)
2. Blueprint (Gibbs)
3. Science and Religion (Scofield)
4. A World Without (Gibbs)
5. Fat Lip (Scofield)
“… this is a tour bringing together one of contemporary music’s most fascinating writers and one of its most imaginative instrumentalists.” John Fordham, The Guardian
“Gibbs’ music is full of intriguing inner detail that does not deflect from the ultimate destiny of his pieces.” – BBC Music Magazine