What does it sound like?:
1. In a surge of overexcited posting I agreed to review this – The Magnetic Fields’ new album 50 Song Memoir. I think it demands a 50 something to review.
2. 5 CD’s – takes a while to listen 6 times and I’m not quite there yet.
3. And a nice little booklet with an interview with Daniel Handler who is a part time Magnetic Fields member aka Limony Snicket.
4. Not all the songs on 69 were to everyone’s taste but many were flawed little jewels of unrequited lust and bitter remorse.
5. Personally I preferred quirkier ones like The Night You Can’t Remember to more popular ones like Papa Was A Rodeo.
6. This one will be the same. Chacun a son gout. (See other post)
7. Opening bars of first song might almost be about to launch into theme from Steptoe & Son but the ukelele is soon joined by that familiar deep and wistful voice.
8. So we get what it says on the box – a song for every year of Stephin’s life. All the fads, fashions , crazes and heartbreak
9. With the low tech soundtrack we expect.
10. Not sure it quite achieves the sustained heights of 69 Love Songs yet but already worthy of looking into its watery eyes.
11. And may well further improve with age.
12. Love and music, yeah.
What does it all *mean*?
13. Lucky numbers – that’s life….
Goes well with…
Life, love and music.
Might suit people who like…
The Magnetic Fields, John Foxx, Jetpacks, 50’s